Today we’re talking about two popular career paths – starting out at one of the big four or going into a government role. The Big Four is the nickname used to refer collectively to the four largest professional services networks in the world. These include Deloitte, Ernst & Young (EY), KPMG, and PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC).
Joining me in this discussion is my old schoolmate Jeremy who did a cadetship at Deloitte where he worked for 6 years. Jeremy explains the interview process, culture, work-life balance and salary during his time at one of the big four.
I’m going to be representing starting out in government as I spent the first 8 years of my working life in the public sector.
Some of the topics we cover in today’s episode are:
- What is the process of landing a job and what were the interviews like? (00:05:18)
- How does a cadetship actually work? (00:14:51)
- First year experiences (00:18:44)
- Salary progression (00:21:36)
- Big Four workloads and expectations (00:24:25)
- Government experience, expectations & work culture (00:35:12)
- The pros and cons of both career paths (00:48:28)
- Dealing with burnout (00:56:49)
- Finding meaningful work that brings purpose (01:00:25)