Today it’s my pleasure to welcome Kurt to the show.
Kurt is the co-founder of the online brokerage company Pearler. We talk about Kurt’s relationship with money, how and why Pearler was started and what it takes to get a fintech startup off the ground.
Some of the topics in today’s episode include:
- Kurt’s upbringing in an entrepreneurial family. His relationship with money/investing and his personal investing goal & strategy.
- The inspiration behind the creation of Pearler.
- The psychology of money & investing. Meaningful work and the ultimate benefits of financial independence.
- What sets Pearler apart from the pack.
- What’s involved in starting and building a company like Pearler?
- Where does the money come from?
- Angel investing, founder accelerator programs & building out a fintech team.
- Book – The Barefoot Investor
- Book – The Psychology of Money
Heads up grammar police, the following transcription is half human half machine and not 100% perfect so expect a few typos and errors…
Another great pod AFB!
Really interesting to hear about Kurt’s journey and the beginnings of Pearler. As somebody who’s involved in the Australian tech start-up scene myself, it was a particularly enjoyable pod for me to listen to, combining two of my interests – financial independence and tech start-ups!
I loved hearing about Kurt’s upbringing, and especially the family travels around the world that shaped him. Hopefully in the next few years, financial independence will allow my wife and I the opportunity to bring my young kids around-the-world in a similar multi-month trip that will have a positive impact and lasting influence on them as well. Thanks for sharing your story Kurt.
AFB, keep up the great content mate! Looking forward to that debt recycling post/pod. Teased again here! 🍻🙌
Those are two of my loves too. Tech and FI! What a combo right? I think a lot of people tend to gravitate to FIRE because it’s basically optimising your life. And tech workers love efficiency 🤓
I am debt recycling my PPOR loan. so far ive lump sump invested the funds and created new loan splits everytime I DR’d.
If I wanna invest using pearler’s auto invest and still debt reycle (thru a seperate, dedicated home loan split for DR purposes), do i just have to just provide pearler my split loan’s account number, and once nominated $ is in the loan redraw (which i presume pearler can detect?), pearler can just autowithdraw to invest?
The only reason for me not moving to pearler is the above reason.
Hmmm not sure mate. Maybe flick them a message?