Today I’m joined by Ben, a sustainable living enthusiast from South Australia who lives completely off-grid with his wife and children.
Ben’s a member of the Aussie FIRE Discussion Facebook Group who posted about his self-sufficient home last year which really struck a chord with the community (it’s still one of the most popular submissions to date). Ben has been kind enough to share his story of building an off-grid house and living sustainably in South Australia.
Some of the topics in today’s episode include:
How Ben and his wife designed and built a completely off-grid home.
Their journey towards the dream of sustainable living.
The primary driver of going off-grid and building this house.
Utilising a solar energy system to completely power a family home.
How much does it really cost and how long will it last?
How to deal with heating and cooling when you’re not connected to the grid.
- Running water and the challenge of sustainable water usage when rain is your only supply.
- How to create a domestic system that generates zero wastewater.
- The bottom line – what was the total cost of the project?
- Aussie FIRE Discussion Group
- Lithium-Ion Battery Test Centre
- CSRIO Solar PV for your home: testing what’s Watt
Heads up grammar Police, the following transcription is half human half machine and not 100% perfect so expect a few typos and errors…