Today I’m talking with the Chair of the Australian Electric Vehicle Council, Tim Washington. Tim has also co-founded two companies – JET Charge, who specialise in supplying and installing EV chargers and Charge Fox, Australia’s largest EV charging network.
EVs have been a hot topic in the FIRE Facebook group lately and I’ve had a few episodes on EVs in general but none that dig into the charging side of the equation which is a big part.
Some of the topics we cover in today’s episode are:
- How does a home EV fast-charger work with your home solar system? (00:21:29)
- How will the new FBT legislation affect the cost of EVs in Australia? (00:23:44)
- How much does a EV fast-charger cost to buy and install? (00:26:09)
- Is vehicle-to-grid (V2G) technology currently an option for Australians? (00:32:27)
- Turning your car into a money-making asset instead of sitting idle 90% of the time (00:34:24)
- Can Australia’s electricity grid handle the upcoming transition to EVs? (00:46:59)
- Hydrogen cars (01:01:11)