Today I’m talking with the Chair of the Australian Electric Vehicle Council, Tim Washington. Tim has also co-founded two companies – JET Charge, who specialise in supplying and installing EV chargers and Charge Fox, Australia’s largest EV charging network.
EVs have been a hot topic in the FIRE Facebook group lately and I’ve had a few episodes on EVs in general but none that dig into the charging side of the equation which is a big part.
Some of the topics we cover in today’s episode are:
- How does a home EV fast-charger work with your home solar system? (00:21:29)
- How will the new FBT legislation affect the cost of EVs in Australia? (00:23:44)
- How much does a EV fast-charger cost to buy and install? (00:26:09)
- Is vehicle-to-grid (V2G) technology currently an option for Australians? (00:32:27)
- Turning your car into a money-making asset instead of sitting idle 90% of the time (00:34:24)
- Can Australia’s electricity grid handle the upcoming transition to EVs? (00:46:59)
- Hydrogen cars (01:01:11)
- Website – Jet Charge
- Website – Electric Vehicle Council
Thanks Andrew 🙂
Enjoyed hearing about Tim’s journey and his forward looking approach to EV future. Wish there were more like Tim out there! Fireflyer
Great information here Firebug. A lot of good stuff.
Regarding FBT exemption, savings on FBT while leasing is not worth it as the parasitic nature of the financiers in the middle who leaches you with exorbitant interest rates (currently circa 15% in the current environment)
Can you do it without a leasing company? What if you own a company yourself?
Can you upload a transcript, please?
I don’t do transcripts anymore I’m sorry Brian.
Still reckon my used stationwagon is cheaper 😜
Yeah probably haha. It depends on how much you drive
It’s surprisingly good! I thought I knew a lot about EV charging, but still learned so much from this podcast!
Thanks EF 🙂