Today I’m chatting with Tina from moneyflamingo.com which is an Aussie FIRE blog that focuses on a very cool concept called Flamingo FI. Tina shares her incredible journey of how she and her partner went from being broke and clueless in their early 30s to happy semi-retirees just 5 years later. I’m sure the concept and strategy of Flamingo FI will be very interesting, applicable and relatable to a lot of people out there listening.
Some of the topics in today’s episode include:
- Where the name Money Flamingo came from. What is Flamingo FI and when did Tina come up with this concept?
- The shock of starting her first job and the reality of a lifetime of working full-time as a lifestyle. When Tina realised that she no longer had control of her time she went searching for an alternative to the standard path.
- When did Tina first discover the concept of financial independence and FIRE? How she almost gave up before she began and did nothing about it for 3 years.
- What really matters on the path to financial independence? Is money really the most important part?
- Tina’s personal story – how Tina and her partner went from broke to semi-retired in just 5 years.
- The reality of semi-retirement and living a balanced life.
- What is the difference between Flamingo FI & Coast FIRE?
- Website – Money Flamingo
- Blog – JL Collins – Why You Need F-You Money
- Blog – Mr Money Mustache – The Shockingly Simple Math Behind Early Retirement
- Website – Networthify
- Book – The Psychology of Money – Morgan Housel
- Blog – Project 1000: 1000 days to Freedom
- Blog – Hypocrisy and Manipulation – Is the FIRE Movement Corrupt?
Heads up grammar police, the following transcription is half human half machine and not 100% perfect so expect a few typos and errors…